Stage 3 Hot Cam is toooo MUCH! - SNAPPED MY CV SHAFT! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stage 3 Hot Cam is toooo MUCH! - SNAPPED MY CV SHAFT!

Went riding today with my new big3 and stage 3 hot cam. Like a few other people on this forum, I'm having starting issues. It finally started, I popped the clutch in the parking area on grass, slowly rode over to the kiddie track at our riding location while everyone else geared up and all of a sudden, when you gassed it would jerk left. That's when I realized the almighty new found power that my quad has...

Now it's time to figure out how to fix it. I already have another CV shaft so that's not what i'm concerned about. What i'm concerned about is how to get this shaft out of the center of this carrier.

Why it broke...
For those of you that might think the omnipotent 700xx has too much power and gets too much traction, this is why the broke. Before I got the cam chain replaced earlier this year, I was replacing the left side CV shaft... the manual says you have to remove the right side, take a nut off and it all comes out. Well the problem was the right side wouldn't come out. I had pry bars with extensions and it wouldn't just "pop" out like it was explained to me that it would. Well, I ended trying to "split" it by wedging a chisel and hammer - but I had ground the end of the chisel off so that it wasn't coming in contact with the actual shaft - but just that it was prying them apart. Well, I will attribute this to my hammer a chisel. You may call me Thor.

Currently, my thoughts are to drill it out. What are yours?

These pictures don't really mean much, but i'm posting them anyway...

What's wrong with this pic?! Oh... and yes, I did go for about a 4 mile ride with a ONE wheel wonder... it wasn't much fun, but it worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
just a though may or may not work but maybe you could drill into the center of it and stick something in the hole like a heavy duty bolt and reverse tap it out

2011 Honda CBR 250r:full two brothers exhaust,red underglos
post #3 of 14 Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I thought about that. Does anyone know if you can access the otherside and push it out? Either with a press or punch and hammer? I seem to be pretty good at using one of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Honda TRX700XX | 13t Sprocket | HID Headlights | Steering Dampner | ITP Baja Fronts / ITP Pro's Rear | Maxxis RAZR2's all the way around!

post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Current solution - weld a nut to the broke off shaft. Then thread a slide hammer into it and try to get it out.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Heat is your friend... most likely its rusted solid... just remove the nut and lh axle and replace both

post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL700 View Post
Heat is your friend... most likely its rusted solid... just remove the nut and lh axle and replace both
I just replaced the left side. Well most of the left side. The center wasn't replaced cause I couldn't get the right side out so we just took the shaft out of the inside joint on the left side and replaced all of that since that's what was popping.

I'm starting to dislike IRS right now.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 AM

when u pulled mine apart i had to use 2 flat blades and pound them in from opposite sides(with the carrier off bike) to pop it loose... there was almost no grease on the splines and they had a fair amount of rust for it being a Sand only bike in Cali.

RECOMMEND EVERYONE to Remove the RH axle and grease the splines

Last edited by DL700; 06-16-2012 at 02:11 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL700 View Post
RECOMMEND EVERYONE to Remove the RH axle and grease the splines
AGREE! Welding of the nut happens tomorrow. Hope this slide hammer is big enough...

post #9 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Wooohoo! And we're fixed! Came out fairly painlessly! New shaft got good and lubed up before insertion.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Sid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
5WOP3,
Contrats! That looked like some serious work.
Sid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode