Maxxis....FAIL!! - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maxxis....FAIL!!

Sorry, just have to vent. I have always ran Maxxis tires on my 450R and have never had many problems, I can count the number of flats I have had on one hand, all of those have been while racing. I don't know what Maxxis did different to the Razr tires for the 11" wheels, but the side walls are WEAK! I already have one plug in the sidewall of both the rear tires and one tire will have three plugs after today.

I got my one 700XX back from Teixeira Tech with the new front and rear a-arms and planned to go out and do some testing to give Ed some feedback (look for a post on the quad later today for more info on the suspension) and only got to ride for 4 miles before I BARELY clipped a rock and got a flat. I was riding my normal test loop and I hit this same rock all the time, never had a problem with my 450R's. In fact, I have been riding in this area for over a decade, I have had three flats out there in all that time, and all of them are the 11" Razr's on my 700XX in the last year!

I have decided that something must be up with the sidewalls on these, maybe it just has to do with the bigger rim and having less sidewall and they are easier to pinch, I am just really disappointed. Based on my experience so far with them, I wouldn't run them in a race, I would run out of tires before I got to the finish!

I do have a couple sets of Kenda's though out in the shed, plan on getting those mounted up and giving them a try, they have to be better the the Razr's, at least I am hoping. If not, I guess I may have to invest in tire balls.

Doug

2004 TRX450R, 2008 TRX700XX
(BITD #639 Quad Ironman Expert)

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you running tire balls Doug. After riding around the desert by the dry lake off of 95 I pretty much decided if I was going to ride much around there I was going to need them. Allan from CT told me about them and I became pretty interested in them. Most of the time we rode Dumont or other dunes around the area but sometimes you just feel like riding close to the motel.

Maybe if I come back out this fall I'll use them just for the reason you mentioned as I run Razr's on the back of my XX.

08 TRX700XX(red)
HMF Pipe and Muffler
HMF Programmer(Custom Tuned)
EHS Lid
13T Driver
Maxxis Razr2's front, Razrs rear
Fasst Flexx 15degree Quad Bars
Trail Tech Riser
ASV F3 Levers
ODI Rogue Loc-ons
Fox Floats front
Podium-x rears(coming soon)
PRM Desert II front bumper
PRM nerfs
PRM standard grab bar
Quad-Tech Seat
Teixeira Tech CNC Upper A-Arms
post #3 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I put a hole in the side wall of a brand new dunlop.. Put another new one on and next ride out another hole...
I wonder if its due to the trx geometry, as in the tyres lean over when cornering, putting the side wall in a more vunerable position ?

post #4 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM

In the 3-4 years I've raced my xx, I've only had 3 flats on the Razr's. 2 of those were tears on the sidewalls. I even preran the Baja 500 this year and didn't have a single issue. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough, lol
post #5 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Not running tire balls yet, but have been thinking about it. I just don't want to pay $220 per tire to get them, things are pricey. Also, I have been told once you pop a few of the balls you have to replace the tire anyway, at the speeds I run, they vibrate like crazy at that point. Figure they will be my last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceballos View Post
In the 3-4 years I've raced my xx, I've only had 3 flats on the Razr's. 2 of those were tears on the sidewalls. I even preran the Baja 500 this year and didn't have a single issue. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough, lol
Cesar, what pressure are you running your rear tires at? Thinking that may be my problem. The area I was riding, I have always ran 5 psi in the rear tires of my 450R's, I have been running 7 psi on the rear of my 700XX at the same area. I just came in from washing the quad and there were three holes in the sidewall and a slight bulge, tells me the tire was pinched between the rock and rim due to to low of air pressure. Guess I will have to try around 10 psi or so next time, see if that helps.

I guess I may have jumped the gun a little on the FAIL part! Still, the sidewalls on these things sure do seem soft, I can actually get them mounted on the rim pretty easy, can almost do it with out a tire iron.

Ahh, the joys of figuring out the TRX700XX!

Doug

2015 sponsors: Teixeiratech.com, Motowoz.com, Snailmotorsports.com, My bank account.

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #6 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM

I run 8.5-9... I'm on the heavier side and that psi has been good. I can't afford TireBalls, but I got hooked up with Hiper and they have a flat prevention system. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully soon.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Im going to try running the X-Rex tires next I think.

Port and Polishing w/ +1 Valves by Illinois Powersports
11:1 CP 715cc Big Bore Piston
290 Web Cam
+3 Throttle Body
PCV Tuned by Illinois Powersports
61.52 HP 48.24 TQ

Special Thanks To
Illinois Powersports
630-365-6722

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash21 View Post
Im going to try running the X-Rex tires next I think.
Do they have those yet for the 11" rim?

#1 2008 Honda Trx700xx HMF Performance Exhaust, PCV, Stroked 710cc, 10.5:1 Wiseco Piston, Frt Elka Stage 4's, Fox Podium X rear's, EHS Lid, L8ton 11/16" sway bar, DG 6 Pack Rack, PRM Desert II Bumper & Front Skids.
#2 2008 Trx700xx AMR Reaper, Ehs Big 3, P/P head, Xcalibur Cam, Hard Welded Rockers, +1 In/Ex Valves, +3 Throttle body, 11:1 CP Piston, Elka Stage 3 Legacy Shocks, L8ton 11/16th Sway Bar, PRM Front Skids, Desert II Bumper & Rear Utility Rack.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Cesar, I think I will try running 9 psi and see how it goes. Mounted the Kenda's up today in 105 degree heat, that was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Quick View Post
Do they have those yet for the 11" rim?
Nope. Hopefully some day, but I am not going to hold my breath.

Doug

2008 TRX700XX
2005 TRX450R
1986 TRX250R
post #10 of 16 Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM

I think the strange 11" wheel size is the culprit. I got 3-4 plugs in both of my razr rears. So I switched to kenda kutter and the second weekend on them another sidewall slice.

2008 red TRX700, CCP stabilizer, PRM Desert II, 13T sprocket, 23" Razr 2's, 11/16" sway bar,Elka Stage 2 Fronts, EHS Big 3, UNI filter, IMS PowerMadd Hand Guards, Wiigstyle rear shock re-spring, Teixeira Tech front upper A-arms,Precision Shock & Vibe clamps, Tusk Chub CR high bend, ODI Rouge grips, HCC seat cover, kenda kutter rear.

2010 camo Polaris Sportsman 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode