Rear shock brainstorming - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 12-26-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear shock brainstorming

This is my first forum post (anywhere), but have had my 2008 Trx700xx for about 2 years now. I love this Quad for the eastern ohio trails and hills... except for the glaring issue of suspension. The DS450x front upgrade is a no-brainer and definately part of this winter's project list, along with custom four leaf clover rim reinforcement rings, and home-made grab-bar/trunk combo.
The last big problems for me (a rotund 215 with gear) are the rear shocks, they can be outright painful.

I am a mechanical engineer, my father is a tool and die maker with 30 years of experience, and one of my best friends is a SME certified pressure vessel welder. So I think I can find something that will work. And I flat refuse to pay $800 for stage one suspension kits when I can get 4" of lift under an F250 superduty for the same price.

That said I am torn between attempting two options:

1) A pair of DS450 rear shocks (~$160):
Pro's - no modification of stock mounts since the 2 inches should give me room to make the mods/brackets and hold stock length; full rebound and compression adjusments
Con's - may need to buy springs if the XX's won't fit and stockers are too soft/hard; yellow springs!!; Possible loss of suspension travel

2) A pair of YFZ450 (04-09) rear shocks (~$100):
Pro's - Silver/White springs; nearly identical travel and length; should allow use of XX springs; Full adjustment capability; cheaper; better availability
Con's - Will most likey require cutting on the bike since there is no room to build brackets without changing geometry

I am leaning toward the YFZ's, but worry about cutting on the stock brackets.

Anybody have thoughts on what I should try (doesn't have to be from the two listed I am up for anything)?

If I get a good result I will be sure to post it (bad one's will get posted too), as soon as I figure out how to upload photos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Baxter
Now I know why .net looks so good.

2008 TT-ReXX , 2003 400ex and 2014 CRF250r.
Products used, abused and loved from:
Ed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alex at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jim at

Kyle at

With out these guys , it would not be as much fun.
post #3 of 51 Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
shocks

HI,i also have looked at alternatives.My problem is lack of time. I have quickly looked at the yfz shocks,but have you actually tried fitting them into your trx?
I have also looked at honda cr or crf shocks,they look to be the right shape,but i have not tried them.
If you can make friends with a dismantler,you may be able to borrow shocks to try them and see if they fit.
Changing springs is the easy bit.
mervex

post #4 of 51 Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I never thought to go looking at bike suspension! Great idea, and bike shocks tend to have more adjustment (high and low speed dampening). Looks like '02 era CRF shocks are running ~$90 each - still well under $200 for the package. Length and travel look good too. I am going to start looking at all my buddies bikes now though. So many possibilities!!

I have a 2005 YFZ I can borrow a shock off of for trial/mockup but it has to go back to the original quad after. Plan on starting tear downs after the new year's long weekend.
post #5 of 51 Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 PM

rear

I have found an ebay site called partsnewandused helpfull for pics and also a length of the shocks.
mervex
post #6 of 51 Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 AM

Are you blokes trying to fit the rear shockers from straight axle quads to the honda independant rears??
post #7 of 51 Old 12-27-2012, 03:52 PM

buy the time you grind fit and you still have a shock that they didnt want on their quad why dont you buy the right shock for your ride? I know it cost money but do you really think in the long run you will save by modify your mounts and you will still have a shock that was never designed for your ride.good luck and i hope it works for you it never did for me , it usually cost me in the long run

you dont stop riding because your to old, you get old because you stop riding!
post #8 of 51 Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil520 View Post
Are you blokes trying to fit the rear shockers from straight axle quads to the honda independant rears??
I want to try it at least! One on each side so I can have rebound and compresion adjustment without dropping $1400ish on stage 2+R shocks.
I found out the ~$800 stage 1's don't even allow for anything but spring preload!!

The shocks from an '06 YFZ would easily bolt to the lower mount, but the upper mount will be tricky to make, since I will need to essentially rotate the shock reservoirs 30 to 45 degrees off center, but somehow retain the geometry. If I did find a way to get that to work the only way to adjust the settings on the throttle side would be to cut a hole in the airbox for the screwdriver

Quote:
buy the time you grind fit and you still have a shock that they didnt want on their quad why dont you buy the right shock for your ride? I know it cost money but do you really think in the long run you will save by modify your mounts and you will still have a shock that was never designed for your ride.good luck and i hope it works for you it never did for me , it usually cost me in the long run
Nothing ventured nothing gained right? How do you think the other riders on here came up with the front shock swaps? As sick as it sounds, I find this type of challenge fun, and it keeps me busy in the winter!
post #9 of 51 Old 12-27-2012, 06:28 PM

rear shocks

I suggested CR or CRF 250 or 450 BIKE shocks as they only look like they may be close to fitting as the mounting points top and bottom are the SAME,very similar length and they may just fit in the space around them.Plenty of others may fit easier.
I wish i had more time to do more research but my nearest dismantler is about a 45 min drive away.
I would not be interested in grinding and cutting unless they were a close fit.As I am a welder/fabricator things like this are easy.
I made my own nerfbars,front and rear bumpers, alloy trailer (15 years old now) and ramps.
mervex
post #10 of 51 Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Back shocks off MX bikes are designed to work with linkages and fitting them to the rear of the 700 will achieve nothing,it would be a lot cheaper to get a piece of pipe and bolt that in as it will give about the same amount of travel as the non linkaged shocks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode