Running 12" rims in the back with stock offset (sand tires) - Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Running 12" rims in the back with stock offset (sand tires)

Has anyone tried running 12" rims with the 5+2 offset. ITP and maxxis both mke a 22" sand tire that fits a 12" rim and DWT makes the 12" rim with our unique offset. OMF also can throw re-inforceing rings on these as well.

Any insight on how this set up would work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i wouldnt recommend it you should of bought a foreman 500 or utilityquad. sport quads arent designed for 12 inch rims . get 10 inch all the way around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird88 View Post
i wouldnt recommend it you should of bought a foreman 500 or utilityquad. sport quads arent designed for 12 inch rims . get 10 inch all the way around.
These were the 12" rims I am considering
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%2528Rear%2529

With these tires

https://www.denniskirk.com/rear-righ...prd/653158.sku

Both appear to be a sport quad setup...

I am considering going the 10" route but it appears that I would be over the 50" wide limitation for the trails I ride and I wanted to keep the rear stock with for sand so the rear doesn't push any more than it allready does.

I hope that better clarifys what I am trying to accomplish; not trying to turn this quad into a utility. Just thinking about a super low profile sand tire setup. :-D

Cheers!!!

post #4 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
well the 10 inch rims will make you 50 wide i dont ride sand dunes because there is none in my state and i dont think anybody else on here has went 12 all the way around maybe someone has and will chime in

08 700XX PRM Six Pack Rack Hardline hour meter EHS EFI Controller EHS Lid with side vents Barker Full Exhaust Uni Air Filter alba nerfs elka stg4 fronts sti rims kutter front gbcxrex rear
post #5 of 16 Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Mooser, I am facing the same dilemma as you. Just got my XX back together and I'm ready to hit dunes soon. I don't want to go wider either. I may do what your doing. I need to check to see if Skat Trak makes a straight paddle 12" rim 22" tire.

The set up won't hurt the quad any, but you won't have a good flotation tire is the only problem I see. I was running 8" rims with a 21" tire on my Raptor to get excellent flotation.

Where are you riding?

'08 710XX
+3mm HotRods stroker crank
CP 11:1 piston
Port & Polish (myself)
HotCam 3
Velocity intake
Barker exhaust (w/ QC and sparky)
PCV (dyno tuned)
Pro Armor nerf bars, Kenda Kutters (x4), CCP stabalizer
post #6 of 16 Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Going to ride the silver lake dunes in MI.

I am only planning on the 12" rims in the back with 22" paddles in those maxxis blades or the same size ITP sand tire. Up front I am going to have a 10" rim with a 22" tall matching front sand tire.

The rears are 22 x 11x 12 so I don't see why you would have any less flotation than the 22x 11x 10 as the specs show the same width and height. Essentially I think this would be a similar setup to guys who have 10" rims with 20" tall sand tires as far as flotation and tire profile are concerned.

I did some measuring tonight and figured that I will be at 48" wide in the back with the 12" rim 5+2 offset and 22x11x12 maxxis blade sand rears and 2 inches wider if I go down to a 10" rim 4+3 offset with 22x11x10 tires.

Stock width with stock tires is around 46" front and back.

Starting to get a headache with all this math!!
post #7 of 16 Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Yes you will have basically the same roll out. The flotation I'm referring to is the 12" rim on the same diameter tire is a lower profile. Your tire won't have as much flex, squish, or rotational twist/give. A set up like this will dig a little more than float. Digging into sand is not desirable. Ask someone with Gecko's about this. lol

We have a very heavy quad, so having flotation is huge. I need to call Skat Trak in hopes of finding a rim to rim buff, 7 paddle, 23"x 12" Extreme series. I think that would be ideal for my HP and dune style.
Let me know what you try!

'08 710XX
Port & Polish (myself)
HotCam 3
Velocity intake
PCV (dyno tuned)
post #8 of 16 Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I run ITP Sand Stars (22") on their C5 rims (12")... I got the set used from another member... ITP no longer offers the C5 rim.

roadkill

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

post #9 of 16 Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
I run ITP Sand Stars (22") on their C5 rims (12")... I got the set used from another member... ITP no longer offers the C5 rim.

roadkill
Any issues with that set up? Plenty of clearance at nerfs?

'08 710XX
Port & Polish (myself)
HotCam 3
Velocity intake
PCV (dyno tuned)
post #10 of 16 Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystreet View Post
Any issues with that set up? Plenty of clearance at nerfs?

These are for the rear... No issues so far, but then again, I only run in the sand once or twice a year... My fronts are Razr2s with no clearance problems with my PRM side bars.

roadkill

"You lock the door and throw away the key. There's someone in my head, but it's not me."

R. Waters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode