User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to the_hawk
suspension options for the not so rich ??

iam looking at various ways to soften up my suspention a little, i though about the lower line fox and elka shocks maybe a works job, currious what others are doing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 AM

Im still rocking the stocks for now....

but really my question would be how soft do yah want to go? i think the stockers are kinda soft as they are....but dampening on the shocks are what i think needs improvment.
post #3 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 04:30 AM

How much do the lower line ones run?

Red '05 TRX400EX:

|White Brothers E-Series Exhaust|Stock Header w/ Welds Ground|Gearing: Trail - 14/39, Dunes - 13/39|Primary Drive Sprockets and Gold X-Ring Chain|Sparks +6 Key|42mm Keihin Carb|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|Tinner Scoops|TAG T2 Bars|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|DirtSkins Shock Covers|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles, GBC Dune Tracker Fronts|

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

To me, the rear suspension is way stiff. The bike almost bucked me off when I hit a small bump in sand. Should have sailed over it. My buddy in his poohlaris hit it before me, and nothing at all. Different bikes I know, but still. The 700xx reacted almost violently.

Its like my balls are a punching bag for this bike.
post #5 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_0_xx View Post
To me, the rear suspension is way stiff. The bike almost bucked me off when I hit a small bump in sand. Should have sailed over it. My buddy in his poohlaris hit it before me, and nothing at all. Different bikes I know, but still. The 700xx reacted almost violently.

Its like my balls are a punching bag for this bike.
I agree that the rear feels stiff, but my fronts are soft. They feel pretty good except when you are going downhill into a corner at speed, then they dive pretty bad. But mine are still at the stock settings, and I weigh 210, so I need to stiffen them up. I would think that If you don't weigh at least 180 pounds that this bike would feel REALLY stiff.

Hawk, you are looking at about $500 a set for lower end shocks. Those are still really good shocks though, they just are not adjustable beyond preload. Works quoted me $555.00 for a set of G-Series shocks with adjustable pre-load and no rezzies. From there you are looking at another $200 for rezzies, and a grand for fully adjustable. Works are comparable to Elka's in price. I had a set of G's on my Raptor, and they made a huge difference, especially with the "diving" issue. Unless you really know how to tune your shocks, I personally think that a good set of non-adjustable shocks work fine. I think I'd want the rezzies for the rear set though.

HMF Ballance QRS slip-on, HMF/Dobeck programmer, Velocity filter, EHS lid, Razr rear tires, 22" Razr 2 front tires, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs, Pro Armor XC bumper, Fasst Flex Bars, Trail Tech billet logo clamp, PRM a-arm skids.
post #6 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 09:58 AM

I consider myself a novice rider who loves speed and Tq hence the purchase.

I actually like the front soft, I dont fly into corners so its really not a big worry.

That said, Are the "cheap" options you mention available for the rear? Anything we can have done to the existing shocks?

Last edited by double_0_xx; 05-21-2009 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 10:11 AM

I imagine you could have the rear shocks rebuilt for your weight, or to soften them, but at that point you may be better off just buying a new set. You are looking at about $700 - $750 for a rear set with rezzies. You don't want the rear to be too soft though or that baby will roll really bad in the turns. There is a company that specializes in rebuilding stock shocks, but I would have to research that one since I don't remember their name, I think there was a write-up on them a few months ago in QUAD magazine.

HMF Ballance QRS slip-on, HMF/Dobeck programmer, Velocity filter, EHS lid, Razr rear tires, 22" Razr 2 front tires, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerfs, Pro Armor XC bumper, Fasst Flex Bars, Trail Tech billet logo clamp, PRM a-arm skids.

Last edited by xx-rated; 05-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.
post #8 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM

GT Thunder? They built my old engine, and specialize in shocks etc.. great company.
post #9 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Isn't GT Thunder the company that is building shocks for HMF/HLS?

post #10 of 59 Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM

I'm pretty sure they are.

08 TRX700XX
88 LT500R QUADZILLA
06 DVX400 (Son's)
06 TRX250EX (Wife's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Club700XX - Honda TRX700XX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode