Honda TRX700XX Forum - Club700XX banner

help with starting!!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  EEHonda 
#1 ·
We are having problems with the bike starting when cold and for some time after it goes.
when it's cold 90% of the time its a real bitch to get started... it acts the same as jumped timing. it will back fire out both the exhaust and air box. It will even shoot flames out the exhaust. then after cranking it off and on for a while it will start and run fine.if it should stall it takes a little to get it to start.

but then other times it will start fine and run great.

I have checked and adjusted the values also the compression(80psi) and it's still a bitch to start.Also a new plug.

is there a way to check the FI. sensors ? could it be a crank sensor?

Thanks

Shawn & Kyle
2008 700XX

#2 ·
shawn169,
Is the bike new or does it have a lot of hours? Just as a thought, turn on the key; never hit the throttle like on the older carburetored models. That will flood the engine and mess up the sensors that feed the computer. Additionally, once started, let he machine warm up some. About 3 to 5 minutes and in the cold of winter let it idle longer. If you start riding while the engine is cold it will not run correctly. One other thing, if you start trying to ride too soon after the engine is running the bike will lurch forward and probably die when you put it in gear.
As is obvious, we need more information.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Sid

#3 ·
Sounds to me like he is pumping the throttle while cranking it.

The only time I ever mess with the throttle is if I stall it. Because if you don't it's a bitch and a half to get to start back up in time to not get left behind by everyone else or get ran over by the people behind you.

#4 ·
Sounds to me like he is pumping the throttle while cranking it.

The only time I ever mess with the throttle is if I stall it. Because if you don't it's a bitch and a half to get to start back up in time to not get left behind by everyone else or get ran over by the people behind you.
2nd that....... I got that prolbem too. Sometimes I turn the killswitch off and back on to let the fuel pump reprime and that helps (sometimes)

#6 ·
iceman320,
When you turn on the key you will hear the electric fuel pump run. When it stops running that is all you are going to get out of it. Turning the key on and off will not make a difference. Just start it after the pump stops. You will not have any problem starting it just as long and you keep your finger off the throttle. Let the EFI do all the work for you. Just my opinion.
Sid

#7 ·
Just something else to think about, how good is your gas supply? Had a buddy who was having similar issues with his Rancher and it was due to moisture in his father-in-laws farm gas tank. He started buying his own gas in town and no more problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.